Created on Monday, 16 March 2020 11:38
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates of Malawian Nationality to fill
two vacant positions existing in the Competition and Fair Trading Commission (CFTC).
The Competition and Fair Trading (CFTC) is a statutory corporation established to enforce the Competition and Fair Trading Act (CFTA) Chapter 48:09 of the Laws of Malawi. The objective of the Act is to safeguard and encourage competition and fair trading in Malawi. In this regard, the Commission is responsible for ensuring that businesses are not engaged in anti-competitive trade practices; and regulating and monitoring monopolies and concentration of market power thereby strengthening efficiency of production and distribution of goods and services, securing the best possible conditions for freedom of trade, safeguarding consumer welfare and setting a favourable operating environment for expansion of the country’s entrepreneurship base.
(1) Director of Legal Services (CFT 2)-Contract 3 years renewable
The main responsibility of the Director of Legal Services shall be to provide expert advice to the Commission with respect to enforcement of and compliance with the CFTA. The Director will be required to provide leadership in conducting litigation on behalf of the CFTC. Further the Director will be responsible for ensuring consistency and excellence in the application of the enforcement mechanism as provided for under the CFTA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The specific responsibilities of the Director of Legal Services shall include:
- Providing expert legal advice to the Commission with respect to Enforcement of and compliance with the Competition and Fair Trading Act, Consumer Protection Act and any other related Legislation and Legal instruments.
- Providing thought leadership in competition matters with the aim of enhancing Malawi’s competition regime; clear advice and guidance to the Executive Director and CFTC case officers or teams to ensure that CFTA is effectively applied;
- Negotiating agreements with other regulatory authority to co-ordinate and harmonise the exercise of jurisdiction over competition matters within the relevant industry or sector, and to ensure the consistent application of the principles of the Act
- Providing secretarial services to the Board of Commissioners.
- Negotiate and conclude consent orders in terms of section 39 (2) of the Act.
- Representing the CFTC in all legal matters and liaise with external counsel where necessary;
- Maintaining good relations with government departments, courts, private sector and overseas competition authorities;
- Initiating reviews of laws and regulations pertaining to Competition and fair trading and advise the Executive Director and management on any new developments in the area or the need to review the CFTA;
- Conducting continuing legal education for Commissioners and members of staff on handling of cases and general legal knowledge;
- Instituting and enhance compliance programs with willing private sector companies.
- Obtaining Court Order or Warrants to help in conducting investigations and Dawn Raids.
Qualifications and Competencies
- LLB (Hons) Degree holder with a valid practising licence.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in conducting and managing litigation. Those with a Master’s degree and five (5) years post-qualificationexperience will have an added advantage.
- Expertise in competition and consumer law and regulatory authority desirable.
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team.
- Strong analytical and communication skills with the ability to grasp new issues quickly and provide sound judgement.
(2) Internal Auditor (CFT5) - Permanent position
The main responsibility shall be to provide independent and objective assurance on the
efficacy of control systems, corporate governance and risk management.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning, developing and implementing audit systems, programmes, strategies and budget.
- Reviewing and advising on effectiveness and adequacy on financial and operational systems and procedures.
- Checking compliance with internal control procedures, statutory rules and regulations.
- Identifying key risk areas in consultation with management and advising on requisite internal control systems and strategies for safeguarding resources.
- Preparing internal audits and preparing reports for submission to the board of commissioners.
- Checking management accounts for errors and completeness
- Monitoring implementation of the audit recommendations.
- Collaborating with external auditors on audit matters.
- Conducting investigative audits in liaison with relevant stakeholders.
- Undertaking pre audit and post audit of financial, stores and personnel records as may be necessary.
- Maintaining audit files and audit registers.
- Following up on audit queries to ensure audit observations are properly and adequately addressed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Auditing
- Chartered Accountant ACCA/CIMA/ICAM added advantage
- 2 years relevant experience.
Key Competencies and Experience
- Good command of quantitative analysis and documentation skills.
- Strong Communication Skills and problem solving abilities
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and make sound judgement
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills.
Appointment and Remuneration
Position for Director of Legal Services is a contract position - three year contract subject to renewal based on performance. The Internal Auditor position is a permanent subject to 3 months’ probation and meeting agreed performance targets. The successful candidates shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits in accordance with the Commission’s Conditions of Service.
Method of Application
Applications including detailed Curriculum Vitae (CVs), photocopies of relevant certificates and names and contacts of at least three (3) traceable referees should be hand delivered to
The Executive Director, Competition and Fair Trading Commission, Off Presidential
Highway, New Golden Peacock Complex, 6th Floor, City Centre, Lilongwe or sent by
The Executive Director, Competition and Fair Trading Commission, P/Bag 332,
Lilongwe not later than 17th April, 2020.